Hello

My photo
To steal something from a better writer than myself, I'm a drunk homosexual with low moral fibre.

Sunday 25 January 2009

Frost / Nixon.

This is a good film, exceptionally good in fact, but two things kept bugging me all the way through. The first being that I know Michael Sheen for playing Tony Blair, the reasons for him being cast in the role seemingly his physically resemblance and similar grin, so I was half seeing frost and half seeing Blair. What made this worse was that in the moments when I saw Frost, all I could think of was the Dead Ringer's impersonation, with him sitting in a comfy chair, wrapped in a tartan blanket, doing his knitting on Breakfast With Frost.

But it was an ace film all the same, Langella's Nixon is uncanny, and those last moments of the interview, the camera capturing ever crease in his craggy face, are astonishing. Moreso because neither he nor Sheen seem to be replicating someone else's words and gestures during the interview moments, which must actually be an exceptionally difficult feat to pull off. If I can come up with a criticism it's the film's insistence that it was Frost's knowledge of television which made that crucial difference in the interview, but even in their own showing it doesn't come through (we are told it often enough, but not much shows us). Watching this film (and I admit my only knowledge of the interviews and the people behind them is sketchy) it more appears that some in depth research is the more creditable reason.

No comments: