Hello

My photo
To steal something from a better writer than myself, I'm a drunk homosexual with low moral fibre.

Sunday 23 October 2011

The Story Teller

Now here's a blast from the past. It began the year I was born so sadly I was a little too young for Marshall Cavendish's Story Teller magazine (though I did have enormous fun reading their Ancestral Trail series in later years).

It was a collection of children's tales, a mixture of modern novels and classic folk/fairy stories, so the likes of The Wind in the Willows and The Wizard of Oz mixed with Rapunzel, Cinderella and Pandora's Box; all of which were read by the respected acting type of the day (and now). These actors included, but were not limited to; Brian Blessed, Sheila Hancock, Joss Ackland, Joanna Lumley, Diana Rigg, Siân Phillips, Tom Baker, Ian Holm, Miriam Margolyes, Martin Shaw, Richard Briers and Derek Jacobi.

And why am I remembering this? Well, I've just found out that some lovely person has placed a number of the stories online. So go. Listen. And if you really need any reason to investigate further, just have a listen Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince, read by Tim Curry.

No comments: