Hello

My photo
To steal something from a better writer than myself, I'm a drunk homosexual with low moral fibre.

Monday 24 August 2009

Et In Arcadia Ego.

Have been in London this weekend, very much enjoyed myself too. Much drinking, consumption of caffeine, seeing of friends and of course, plays. Good birthday fun all the way.

First we saw The Libertine (at Clapham's Landor Theatre, which is really a pub with a spare attic), a play I've never been awfully keen on (though that's largely thanks to my memories of the particularly shoddy film) but found myself very much enjoying for more reasons than my friend was in it (Graeme Thompson). Had to repress a fit of the giggles at the start when Graeme (playing the lead) came onto stage, his wig and costume making him look a little like Annie Lennox circa 1992, but otherwise very much enjoyed it. A decent cast and (thankfully, considering the budget) minimalist set put a lot of energy into a play which really needs it.


Most excitement was reserved for the much recommended production of Arcadia, at the Duke of York Theatre. Now Arcadia is my favourite play, ever. It has a combination of intelligence, humour and drama I've never seen matched. And Septimus Hodge is the foremost of my literary (I say literary, because I've only had the opportunity to read it up to now) boy crushes.

So a fair bit to live up to then. But it does, spectacularly (and tragically). I've no real desire to go into review mode about it but it's good. I already knew Samantha Bond and Neil Pearson would be good, but they weren't alone, Dan Stevens and Ed Stoppard in particular deserve to have spectacular careers. Believe me, Stoppard's casting has to be more than nepotism, he was the best thing in it for my money, he practically made Valentine the star of the show.

No comments: