Hello

My photo
To steal something from a better writer than myself, I'm a drunk homosexual with low moral fibre.

Thursday 27 August 2009

The Owl Service.

A chance discovery of the full series on DVD at Newcastle Central Library has got me hooked on The Owl Service, an adaption of Alan Garner's book of the same name.

I brought it home (as I often do with these series) in the hopes that it might turn out to be that bloody series I vaguely remember from being a kid with the golder masks and the waterfalls, but it hasn't.

Still, even taking the late sixties production into account (actually, that helps with the atmosphere if I'm honest, makes it look a little bit Wicker Man) it's very very good, which I should have expected considering it's by Garner. A mixed cast*, but interestingly filmed, and with some beautiful ideas. I think the book is definitely worth a look.

*Michael Holden, the Welsh boy who plays Rhys (on the left in the below picture), in particular impresses. I tried looking him up, expecting to have seen him do at least moderately well, only to find he died eight years after in rather unpleasant circumstances.

No comments: