Hello

My photo
To steal something from a better writer than myself, I'm a drunk homosexual with low moral fibre.

Sunday 15 February 2009

Final thought for the night.

As this nifty little interview has just reminded me, I fall a little bit more in love with Will Self every day.

But I do still enjoy “Dorian”. Of all my books, it’s the one I feel the most affection for. It does take me back to that part of my life. Even if I’m not actively homosexual, it’s fun to pick up on it again. I think the enjoyment of certain aspects of gay culture by heterosexual men is one of the great developments of recent times. Personally, I’m really comfortable with that. But I have to be really honest about this, and say that I’m also quite comfortable with what you might call my homophobia. Because I don’t resist the idea that I can be attracted to men, I also don’t resist the idea that I can find some aspects of gay culture pretty appalling. There are aspects of gay culture that really jar with me.’

Dorian is a book I have been meaning to read for a while now, if only because it seems to get slagged off by people who seem to be idiots, a lot.

No comments: