Hello

My photo
To steal something from a better writer than myself, I'm a drunk homosexual with low moral fibre.

Sunday 22 February 2009

Khmer Rouge trials.

I had great satisfaction reading in this week's Guardian that one of the commanders of S-21 has finally been brought to trial. Visiting that school ranks easily as the most horrific experience of my life, the Killing Fields ad nothing on it because, even with the ominous tower of skulls and the rags of victims still poking through the grass, the place is quite beautiful.

The dank feel of S-21, and the row upon row of stark, uncompromising photographs of the victims (an awful moment, seeing the prison shot of a woman and her young child) left me depressed beyond words. I'm going to be watching the trial with interest, and hoping for Kaing Guek Eav's colleagues in the Khmer Rouge to final be brought to justice.

No comments: